Monday, July 03, 2006

Places on the bus

The child:
When you are a child you instantly gravitate toward a position knowledge and power or at the very least a mimicking of power and thus you gravitate towards the the front of the bus on the top deck.

The teenager:
One would imagine that the teenager would be just as interested in these thing, however they seek a place as far away from any authority as they can get in short they seek freedom, and in so doing they gravitate to the back of the bus on the top deck, this being the point of furthest distance from the bus driver seen in this case as the major point of local authority, this can
[I would imagine] be carried over into just about any other place, particularly the classroom.

The adult:
When you are older [late teens early twenties onwards] I observe that you go more for the middle ground and more often that not sit on the bottom deck of the bus. The only reason for this that I have been able to fathom is that as you become older, for the most part atleast you become less tribal [the exception to this being sporting events and the like] either by way of being more individualistic and less insecure therefore being less subceptable to the mob mentality of self labeling, or you become more homogenised more conforming to the mob mentality of the larger group/society and therefore less subceptable to the mob mentality of smaller more insecure groups/societys.

Where I fit in:
Interestingly I'm twentytwo and yet I only fit into the adult group when I'm on journeys that I know will be no more than fifteen or twenty minutes, on longer journeys however I fit into the first group, the child, in that I always try to sit on the top deck of the bus and right at the front, whatsmore I do it for exactly the same reasons that of having a feeling of power and a greater ability to aquire knowledge of the world around you i.e. liking the view. However I have one other reason, if I were to sit at the back of the bus I would have to not only hear everyone else but allso see them and I prefer to just hear them and combat that by wearing earphones and playing loud music.
Overview:
first you seek power and knowledge then independence a sense of freedom and finally conformity and convenience, however all of these can be seen as a greater search for safety and security, firstly the safety of self power, secondly the security of the group and of keeping a distance from other groups, and finally the safety of blending in and not sticking out, and for myself I suppose it is the security similar the teenager of distancing myself, from everything, the safety of not knowing and not dealing.

No comments: